Traditional and Non-Traditional Wedding Vows
By Anna Lynn Sibal
Below are a few examples:
Traditional Wedding Vows
1. I, (speakerís name), take you, (spouseís name), as my wedded husband/wife to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer and for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do us part.
2. I, (speakerís name), take you, (spouseís name), to be my husband/wife in the eyes of God, of the law and of society from this day forward. In the sight of all our family and friends, I give you my solemn promise to stay with you faithfully in times of happiness and of sadness, in times of health and of sickness, in times of plenty and of lack, through good times and through bad times. I vow to you that I shall give you my unconditional love and support, that I shall honor, respect and cherish you for the rest of my life.
3. (Spouseís name), before these witnesses, I take you as my lawfully wedded husband/wife. I vow to love you without condition and to care for you and your needs to the fullest of my ability. I promise to offer myself to you entirely and without hesitation, and I promise to accept you entirely and without hesitation. I choose you to be my one and only companion for life, and I vow to you that I shall love and cherish you for as long as I live.
1. (Spouseís name), you are my one true love. I take you to be my husband/wife, to be my partner, companion and best friend for life. Each day of our marriage shall be one I shall cherish, and I shall love you more and more for every single day we are together. My trust, my respect and my support shall always be yours, and I shall strive to share your joys and your sorrows, your laughter and your tears, your victories and your challenges, as I share mine with you. I shall be faithful to you and love only you for the rest of our lives.
2. (Spouseís name), I (take your hand in mine/put my hand in yours) and take you to be my lawfully wedded wife/husband. I promise to walk the path of marriage with you, to love and trust you and to stand by you for all the days of our life together. I look forward to growing old with you and I promise you that I shall cherish you and our life together regardless of how this life will unfold for us.
3. (Spouseís name), today I take you to be my lawfully wedded husband/wife. Today and for the rest of our lives, I promise to be to you a source of joy and laughter, of strength and support, of understanding and compassion. For all our days, I shall be your faithful partner, and I shall love and cherish and help you in everything that our life shall bring to us.